In this view, looking across the courtyard, one can see the extent of collapse of the buildings which were attached to the gateway and formed the north and east limits of the plaza. The range to the right remained intact until some time after 1932. The one on the left has undergone some deterioration, but it is insignificant by comparison.
The facade is decorated with a corner mask (left corner), stone representations of Maya huts, lattice work, and other common motifs. In the doorways of the huts are projecting stone tenons which once supported painted stucco figures. The two doors flanking the archway enter into small rooms without any other openings. The stairs and plaza have been cleared to their original levels. The stairs, cornice molding, roof and roof comb, and the mask over the left corner have been repaired, In addition, one of the door jambs of the left doorway, which was about to fall, has been remortared and all other loose joints consolidated.
It is possible that this was originally a free-standing structure. Its curious lack of symmetry seems to attest to this, and the right side may have been shortened to accomodate the newer building running off to the east. Some authorities, however, feel that the archway was a later addition to an already existing quadrangle.