was the site of “The Kings Gallows” from 1196 to
1783. Some say that over fifty thousand persons met their death
on Tyburn Tree during the six centuries it was a place of execution.
Along with criminals, religious dissidents were murdered there,
including 105 Roman Catholic Reformation Martyrs. In the 1800s
under Queen Victoria, Tyburn Field was torn up, rebuilt and
renamed. The land now makes up part of Hyde Park, Marble Arch
and Oxford Street.
1901, Mother Marie Adele Garnier and her newly established order
of monastic nuns fled France for England on account of the laws
against religious orders. Mother Garnier decided to settle her
new community at the site that was once Tyburn Field, as a remembrance
of atrocities that took place there and in honor of the murdered
martyrs. She called their new home Tyburn Convent and to this
day it remains the lone namesake of what stood there for centuries.
Tyburn Convent is now home to a small cloister of nuns from
all over the world and serves as the Mother House to a congregation
that has monasteries in England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia,
New Zealand and Peru.
inquire about purchase please contact the artist firstname.lastname@example.org